There is no better time to pick up a few key phrases in Spanish than before your trip to Sunscape Resorts & Spas. Today we would like to cover some basic Spanish words and phrases that will help make your trip seamless and even more authentic as you venture off into an exotic cultural adventure!
When visiting one of our Sunscape Resorts & Spas in Mexico, where Spanish is widely spoken, it is courteous to first ask a stranger if they speak English in Spanish before proceeding in conversation.
Start by asking, “¿Habla ingles?” pronounced ahblah eenglace. This is most likely going to be a useful phrase during your trip, as this may open up a conversation in English.
When you encounter people who do not speak English, here are some essential phrases to ensure you have a good time and are comfortable while experiencing everything available during your Unlimited-Fun® getaway:
- ¿Donde esta el baño? – Where is the bathroom?
- Possible responses: A la derecha – To the right. A la izquierda – To the left.
- *Remember, ‘ñ’ in Spanish is pronounced with a nyuh sound.
- Como se llama? – What is your name?
- Possible response: Me llamo [your name]. – My name is ___.
- *Remember, double l’s in Spanish are pronounced with a ‘y’ sound.
- ¿Como está? – How are you?
- Possible response: Muy bien, gracias, y usted? – Very well, thanks, and you?
- ¿Cuanto cuesta? – How much does it cost?
- ¡Hasta luego! – See you later!
- ¡Salud! – To your health! or Cheers! *This phrase is usually used as a toast while drinking, or after someone sneezes.
- For adults: Me gustaría una cerveza, por favor. – I would like a beer, please.
- And for the kids: Me gustaría una botella de agua, por favor. – I would like a bottle of water, please.
- ¡Ayudame! – Help me!
- ¡Alto! – Stop!
- Por favor no fumar – Please do not smoke
- Abierto – Opened
- Cerrado – Closed
We hope these starter phrases make your trip easier and help you immerse into the wonderful Mexico locations of Sunscape Resorts & Spas – and who knows, maybe you’ll come home with even more Spanish under your belt!